In this exercise, you are tensing groups of muscles as tightly as you can and then releasing the pressure to help each part of your body relax. Over time you will become more aware of the early signs of tension in your body and can focus this exercise on your problem areas.
It will take you between 7 and 10 minutes to complete the exercise and progressively relax all the muscles in your body. Try repeating this exercise twice a day.
1. Find a comfortable position. You can sit or lie down for this exercise.
2. Starting with your left foot, squeeze your muscles tightly for 5-10 seconds.
3. Release the muscles and notice the tension leaving that area of your body, stay relaxed for about 30 seconds.
4. Now do the same for the right foot and work up your body through the calves, thighs, hip and buttocks, stomach, chest, back, arms and hands, neck, shoulders, jaw and head.
5. Stay in that relaxed state for a few moments or even minutes.